On my way home from work I made my plan for the evening. I was going to go for a run right after dinner since I was going to make a simple salad.
WRONG! My simple salad suddenly took a little longer to prepare than I had anticipated. No kids to blame this time. Just me messing up.
When I went to PCC on Sunday, I bought beets and carrots and I thought they would be a good addition to the salad. Beets are not only delicious (at least to me) but they are high in vitamin C, fiber, essential minerals like potassium and they are also an excellent source of folate.
My family was not exactly thrilled with the idea of having beets. I think I am actually the only one that loves eating them in my home (hence Beets & Kale). Don’t get me wrong, they still have to eat them (not really optional) but if it was up to them beets would only be used for juicing.
I love feeding my family healthy, vegetarian meals. They like most of the vegan and/or vegetarian meals I make but sometimes it really feels like I am going to loose my head!
The beets and carrots took longer to roast because I had set the temperature too low to begin with but I ended up increasing the heat and that helped.
Mixed Greens With Roasted Beets & Carrots With Tahini Dressing
- Mixed greens
- Five medium size beets (washed and peeled) cut into cubes
- Four large carrots (washed and peeled) cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup croutons
- Tahini Dressing (I modified her recipe to not include garlic and I also replaced the soy sauce with coconut aminos)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- Place the chopped beets and carrots in an oven-safe, shallow dish.
- Pour olive oil over beets and carrots and mix well.
- Sprinkle the salt and mix well.
- Cover dish with tent foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes and stir.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until the beets and carrots are soft (but still firm).
- Mix all ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!
We had leftover beets and carrots so I packed them up for lunch for the kids and me.
The only difference for the kids lunch is that they don’t like dressing in their salads and since dressing is not super important, I don’t pack it.
I didn’t get to run but after we tucked the kids in, I rode my spinning bike… six miles. Hey, that is better than nothing!
Thanks for stopping by!